Karen Mitzo Hilderbrand and Kim Mitzo Thompson are the twins behind Twin Sisters® Digital Media. Starting out with just one album titled “Rap with the Facts—Multiplication,” written for Kim’s third-grade students to help them memorize their facts, Karen and Kim decided to form a record label in 1987. Together they have led their company through thirty years of dynamic changes in the music and publishing industry. Beginning as a record label dedicated to teaching children through music, their discography grew to 3300 songs written, recorded, and fully owned by Twin Sisters.
The Twin Sisters® invested in a central database of all of their content, called Pub Hub, so it could be easily distributed to their hundreds of partners. Their main content areas include:
Songs – (3300+)
Digital Albums – (600+)
Audio Books – (700+)
E-Books – (500+)
Video’s – (250+)
Sheet Music (200+)
Teacher Resources (2000+)
Sound Effects (200+)
Art Library (15,000+)
Augmented Reality Books (30+)
Twin Sisters® customer base includes music streaming sites, such as Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and more. E-Book sites include EPIC, Hoopla, Farfaria, SCRBD, and hundreds more! Audio book sites, such as Playaway, and video sites, such as YouTube, also showcase the Twin Sister’s products. Physical products are licensed to various large publishers worldwide, such as Barbour Publishing, Landoll, PBS Publishing, Bendon International, and Scholastic US and Asia. Endless accounts are now providing ways for children to learn on smartphones, tablets, smart boards, and computers.
The Twin Sisters® and their staff are developing more than 150 new products per quarter in these segments to grow all of the varied digital channels. (Product copyrights are fully owned by Twin Sisters® in Twin Sisters IP, LLC.)
By keeping up with AR, VR, EPUB, HTML 5 and other innovations in publishing, the company’s goal is to become the leader in providing content to companies specializing in children’s educational products.
Karen’s experience as an industrial engineer brings warehousing, distribution, logistics, project management, technical, and financial management skills to the organization. Her ability to recognize industry trends and remain adaptable has helped the company succeed for more than thirty years. Karen was selected and honored as a recipient of the SMART 50 Business Owners 2017 award for Innovation.
Kim graduated from The University of Akron with a master’s degree in “Integrating the Arts across the Elementary School Curriculum.” Her teaching degree has enabled her to write, produce, and create educational and inspirational products for children worldwide. Her love of music and teaching is what continues to inspire her to create hundreds of exceptional educational products each year.
Twin Sisters® many awards and accomplishments include:
- RIAA Certified Recipient of a Platinum Album for “Nature Sounds,” signifying sales of over 1,000,000 units sold. (Now with sales over 2 million albums)
- RIAA Certified Recipient of 9 Gold Albums for “Nature Sounds,” “Phonics,” “Classical Music,” “102 Children’s Songs,” “Traditional Lullabies,” “Christmas Jazz,” “Christmas Memories,” “Acoustic Christmas,” and “Christmas through the Eyes of a Child,” signifying sales of over 500,000 units per title.
- Recipient of more than 170 national awards for educational excellence, creativity, play value, and classroom and family fun, including: National Parenting Publications Award, Dr. Toy’s Best Children’s Products, Learning Magazine’s Teacher Choice Award, The National Parenting Center Seal of Approval, iParenting Media Award, Parent’s Guide Children’s Media Award, Children’s Music Web Awards, Film Advisory Board Award of Excellence, Museum Store Association Buyer’s Choice, American Bookseller’s Pick of the Lists, United States Commerce and Trade Research Institute’s Excellence Award for Media Internet, and more.
- Voting Member of The Recording Academy — Grammy Awards for 25+ years
- Sales of over 60 million albums
Social media sites include:
Teachers Pay Teachers: